jesswest
Thanked 0 time

Re: are all relationships doomed at the 3 year mark???

I think that oftentimes we don't give ourselves enough credit. Intuition is an amazing thing! That's why first impressions are so important.
You know, deep inside yourself, whether the person that your with is who you are meant to be with or not. It is just a matter of accessing that feeling and really listening to it. I was with a guy for 2 and a half years, and I knew that we were not going to last forever after we'd only been together for a couple of months. But it was easier just to stay together because I really didn't know how to break it off.
When I started dating my husband, I realized that he was who I was meant to be with. It was completely intuition, a gut feeling. I just knew that I was right, and we were married after only 9 months!  tongue
The most important part of a long term relationship is your friendship. If it's just about the "feeling" and/or sex, it's not going to last. And sadly, that's what many relationships are based on, and the people don't even really know each other that well!
So, basically, trust yourself, trust your instincts, and believe in yourself! Your soul mate exists and is looking for you too! You just need to know who you are to fully appreciate it!

Posted 15 years ago
froofroo
Thanked 0 time

OMG, I don't think I could have said it any better.  Hear hear!!!  That was so bang on that I think I am going to print it!

Posted 15 years ago
Ali_281083
Thanked 0 time

The most important part of a long term relationship is your friendship.

I completely agree with this statement. At the end of the day when you're old and wrinkly and sex just isn't an option anymore all you're gonna have left is the friendship. You want to know that you can still be each other's company and each other's best friend.
I think the most beautiful sight is that of an elderly couple walking down the street hand in hand content just to be with each other. To me, that's true love (and that's definatelty past the 3 yr mark!)

Posted 15 years ago
farzana
Thanked 0 time

i seem to have the one year curse, everytime i'm nearing a one year anniversary it seems I re-evaluate the whole relationship and decide I can't see myself married to this person... I've had good times and strong friendships with my b-f's, and it's not been just about physical attraction - although that is very important to me!  wink

i once read that relationships run along 3-month marks in the first year (3 mos, 6 mos, 9 mos, 1 year) and then in years after that (1 year, 3 years, 9 years, etc).  people either break-up, marry, or make life changing decisions together at those times... any truth to that? 

i also strongly believe that everything happens for a reason... good luck in your relationships!  ((hugs))

Posted 14 years ago
fossilflower
Thanked 0 time

Being best friends is really important for longevity~ Without that, it is hard to stay connected. My husband and I go through ups and downs but we are bonded because of friendship and respect for eachother's space. I hope it helps~ :group_hug:

Posted 14 years ago
pretty_in_pink
Thanked 0 time

Posted 14 years ago
aloquaciousangel
Thanked 0 time

Posted 14 years ago
sceneshock
Thanked 0 time

If that was true no one would ever be married and have 40 year anniversaries.

Posted 13 years ago
k0rt
Thanked 0 time

Posted 13 years ago
danianiela
Thanked 0 time

soooo not true....

i think if anyone notices their relationships and that of their friends seem to start/finish about the same time, it's probably more a case of 'moneky see, monkey do' (not calling anyone a monkey btw, just making a point!)

same thing happens i guess when couples start to get married, slowly but surely, most friends follow suit

as for me, 8 years and counting with my boy smile

Posted 13 years ago

Board footer

Join in!

open your world wide wardrobe

don't use facebook ?